Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Weight Loss Program

I weighed myself today and I've lost five pounds since the family left for the summer. If not for my weekend binge in San Mateo last weekend with my brother, it might have been six or seven pounds.

I've been eating only what's available in the fridge, freezer, and pantry for almost five weeks now and I must admit, it's getting old. I love to cook and I love to eat...and right now, MRE's are beginning to sound like a gourmet meal. BTW, do you know what MRE stands for? MRE is the US military's rations and it stands for Meals Rejected by Ethiopians....or maybe it was Meals Ready to Eat?

I've been on a reverse-Atkin's diet for the last couple of days....lots of carbs and little protein. There's a lot of pasta in the pantry, so I've been eating quite a bit of it. I made this lovely macaroni dish, with a sauce made of extra virgin olive oil, dried garlic granules, dried Italian herbs, and crushed red pepper. The garlic and red pepper gave the sauce the POW it needed!

I am defrosting some thick sliced bacon and some andouille sausage. I was thinking about using the bacon in an olive oil based pasta sauce....like how I would normally use pancetta. I may use the andouille in a red sauce....like a spicy, Cajun spaghetti sauce. I need to run to the store to buy some red wine....can't have all this pasta without red wine. I know you're thinking that's cheating, but I don't categorize wine as food. An FDA study showed that red wine is good for the heart....so it isn't food...it's medication!

No comments:

Post a Comment