Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Baked Tuna Casserole


Tuna Casserole
Originally uploaded by Wayne-K
As I mentioned previously, my wife and kids are out for the summer and I've challenged myself to survive off the contents of the refrigerator, freezer, and pantry for as long as possible, without going to the grocery store.

I finished the venison-laced beans and rice for lunch and decided to make a tuna casserole for supper. I used some of the previously frozen milk, the moldy cheddar cheese (with the green stuff scraped off), some pancake mix (as a thickener), squiggly dried pasta, canned corn, canned tuna, parsley flakes (for color), dried onion bits, and black pepper. I topped it off with crunched up, stale tortilla chips for texture and baked it for about 20 minutes.

I must say it wasn't bad, in a good way. It could have used more black pepper and onion bits, and the tortilla chips probably wasn't a great idea, but overall, I was pleased with the dish.

I'm running low on ideas, so I'll have to check the current status of the food supplies and dream up more recipes. Fortunately, I still have the red pasta sauce I froze a couple weeks ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment