Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Life Lessons


152/365 - Life Lessons
Originally uploaded by Wayne-K
I never knew what real love was until I had children. Sure, I love my wife, parents, siblings, and my mistress (well, just kidding about the last part), but I never truly understood unconditional love until I had kids. I wrote about parenting in my blog back in January...about how children need more than food, water, clothing, and shelter....they need love, support, guidance, morals, and values.

My parents beat their strong morals and values into us (literally) and for that I'm eternally grateful. I likewise take my responsibility as a parent very seriously. By providing love, support, guidance, morals, and values to our kids, I believe we are developing people with strong character, high self-esteem, and the determination and drive to succeed in life.

Parenting is a tough job and there are tons of books and magazines out there to provide guidance and advice to parents. My recommendation is to save your money and invest in two small, short, and inexpensive books. If you have a girl, get "Father to Daughter, Life Lessons in Raising a Girl." If you have a boy, get "Father to Son, Life Lessons in Raising a Boy." If you're like me and have both, then get both! The books contain short phrases and insights in raising kids. The key, however, is to not take these as cute little sayings, but take the words to heart. A lot of these five word phrases are tougher to live out than one would think!

It's "book" week and here's a picture of the kids reading the books. I know some day, they will be great parents....but kids, no rush please....

No comments:

Post a Comment