Thursday, February 23, 2012

Waiting for Winter

Trail to the Barren Oak by Wayne-K
Trail to the Barren Oak, a photo by Wayne-K on Flickr.

I've been patiently waiting for winter. I'm not much of a cold weather fan, but I love the incredible beauty in the winter Sierra landscape. The contrast between the pine trees and granite against the white snow makes for wonderful B&W (or color) photos. Unfortunately, my winter gear is collecting dust, waiting for a decent level of snowfall.

Closer to home, I've been waiting for the winter rains to bring back the green grasses in the hills around the East Bay. We've had very little rainfall, so the hills are still a bit brown and dull.

Winter is rapidly transitioning into Spring and I'm not sure I'll make it to the Sierra snow this year. I only have one friend stupid enough to go snow camping and this person is moving to Arizona (yes, you know who you are!). I need to make more stupid friends. I'm working on one guy but I think he's too smart to do it. We may need to stick to day trips for starters.

Here are a few photos of the almost green East Bay hills (Pleasanton Ridge) -- captured with my Nikon FM2 and Fuji Pro 400H color negative film.

Stay on Official Trails

Rock Pile

Fallen Brethren

1 comment: