Friday, February 3, 2012

One Stop Darker

National Anthem I by Wayne-K
National Anthem I, a photo by Wayne-K on Flickr.

Amador Valley traveled up north to Danville to take on the Monte Vista Mustangs. I walked into the gym, shook the hand of another parent, and exclaimed, "Wow, this gym is dark!" He replied, "Well, that would be important to you..." I guess most normal parents wouldn't notice the lighting in the gym.

It was definitely the darkest gym we've played in this year...about one stop darker, to be exact. My 70-200mm lens has a maximum aperture of f/2.8, which wouldn't cut it tonight. I walked back to the truck to grab my 50mm f/1.8 so I could shoot the game at f/2. I typically shoot the 50mm from the baseline, capturing the action under the basket. However, the cheerleaders occupied the real estate on the baseline. After shooting what I could with the 50mm, I decided to revert back to the 70-200mm and bumped the ISO to 4000. This gave me a bit more reach, albeit with a bit more noise.

Here are a few photos from tonight's game. I'm hoping the gym is a bit brighter next week...

National Anthem II

Pregame Introductions

Guarding the Inbound

All Smiles

Boxing Out

My Favorite Player Dribbling

Stealing the Ball

No comments:

Post a Comment