Monday, September 27, 2010

I Run For Life


I Run For Life
Originally uploaded by Wayne-K
We participated in the Susan G. Komen Race for a Cure, 5K walk today in San Francisco. The breast cancer survivors were given special, pink, "survivor" t-shirts. I was amazed at the number of pink shirts, for two reasons.

One, although we're probably far from a cure, I think the treatment has improved dramatically over the last few decades and the survival rate is much better.

Two, I'm surprised at the number of people who are stricken with breast cancer. Before last year, I knew very few people who had breast cancer, or any type of cancer for that matter. However, at the Race for the Cure, we were in a sea of pink. It's amazing to see how one person, Nancy G. Brinker (Susan G. Komen's sister), can do so much for the cause...and each of us can too!

They had a nice ceremony after the race, where they called the breast cancer survivors up on stage. During the ceremony, they played Melissa Etheridge's song, "I Run For Life". It was a very emotional ceremony...

No comments:

Post a Comment