Sunday, September 5, 2010

I Iz An Artist

Growing up, we played baseball. When it wasn't baseball season, we rode our bikes or threw mangoes at the bus. I had no interest in the arts...musical instruments, singing, drawing, painting, dancing, drama, etc. So, my interest in photography is somewhat like squeezing a square peg into a round hole...ask my daughter, it's tough to do.

Some folks think taking pictures isn't art. Anyone can point a camera at a subject and press the shutter release button, right? Well, take a look at the typical photo shared on Facebook and you will realize, it actually takes artistic skill to take a halfway decent photograph. If we had tougher camera control laws, many people would have their cameras confiscated for indecent exposure!

To overcome my lack of genetic artistic skill, I've been doing a lot of reading on composition and in on photography in general. The theme for my photo project this week is "Learning." I may focus my pictures this week on my photography-related learning.

This is a picture of a page out of the book, "The Photographer's Eye" by Michael Freeman. If you're interested in reading this book, drop me a line and I'll let you borrow it.

No comments:

Post a Comment