Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Hearty Minced Meat Stew


Ridge Sunburst
Originally uploaded by Wayne-K
I went hiking after work yesterday on the Pleasanton Ridge. It was a short, but pleasant hike from the staging area on Foothill Road to the Longview trailhead. The weather was very pleasant, as well….the 90 degree weather was downright chilly compared to Sunday’s 100 degrees.

For dinner last night, I had a backpacking meal. Wayne’s Test Kitchen churned out a curry rice dish, made with instant rice, TVP (dehydrated textured vegetable protein), dried onion bits, golden raisins, and various spices. I wanted my fellow backpackers to try it out before we took it on the trail later this week. There was a ton left over, so I ate it for dinner.

I ran out of Honey Nut Cheerios, so I had Fruit Loops for breakfast today. The date on the milk is 6/25 and it did seem to have a bit more flavor than a couple days ago. Fortunately, the sugar and artificial colors in the Fruit Loops masked the slightly off flavor really well. I may need to freeze more of the milk before it matures too much more.

For lunch, I had a bowl of hamburger stew, or perhaps I should call it “hearty minced meat stew”…if that sounds more appetizing. I didn’t have any flour or corn starch to use as a thickening agent, so I mixed pancake mix with water and it worked beautifully. I may make a batch of minced meat stew for the family when they return. I’m glad it came out well, because I need to finish the pot of it before I go backpacking on Thursday night.

It’s a bit early to start thinking about dinner, but I have a sneaking suspicion that stew is on the menu.

No comments:

Post a Comment