Tuesday, April 12, 2011

When in Rome

Mount Dana, July 2009 by Wayne-K
Mount Dana, July 2009, a photo by Wayne-K on Flickr.

About ten years ago, I was in Fruitland, Idaho, managing the deployment of a CDMA wireless network for the local telephone company. I took the customer out to lunch at the local mom and pop restaurant, and I decided to have the salmon.

Big mistake! Never order seafood (from the ocean) in the middle of the country, especially outside of major metropolitan areas. I bet the steak, chicken, pork chops, or rainbow trout in Fruitland was incredible, but definitely not the salmon. Lesson learned, when in Rome, eat pasta.

I'm in Dallas, Texas this week and there's a Barnes and Noble bookseller at the mall across the street from the hotel, with a semi-decent photography section.

I decided to grab a quick bite at the food court before heading to the bookstore. I noticed a Panda Express and a Japanese place named Sarku opened up since the last time I was here. Panda Express is a chain, so it's a known quantity....I'd get greasy, 2000 calorie, Americanized Chinese food there, like every other Panda Express in the world (but the orange chicken is so good!). The Japanese place intrigued me. I remembered the salmon in Fruitland, Idaho, but I decided to give it a try anyway. Well, let me just say I should have gone to Chick-Fil-A.

So, why am I blogging about this? Well, if my poisoned, rigor mortised, dead body is found by the hotel maid tomorrow morning, I want all three of you loyal blog readers to have the coroner test me for toxic teriyaki chicken, tepid tempura, and hazardous California roll.

About the picture:

I had to dig into the archives for a photo today. This is a photo from a Boy Scout trip, hiking up Mount Dana in Yosemite (2009).

I have about 50 digital pictures from yesterday's softball game and a roll of B&W film to develop. I'm looking forward to processing both when I return home at the end of the week.

1 comment: