Thursday, December 15, 2011

Dude with a Camera

Portraits by Wayne-K
Portraits, a photo by Wayne-K on Flickr.

When it comes to photography, I enjoy my time outdoors. My camera has always accompanied me on my backpacking trips, capturing the beautiful landscapes and the people out there admiring it with me. Does that make me a nature photographer? I don't know. I don't always carry a tripod with me, because my pack is heavy enough, and this frequently prevents me from capturing the wonderful light at the beginning and end of each day. And...my camera doesn't have the high pixel counts, required to capture every detail in the landscape.

I don't consider myself a sports photographer, but I do take lots of pictures at my son's basketball games, his track meets, and my daughter's softball games. However, my camera doesn't have a high frame/second speed, a large buffer, or great high ISO performance.

I don't consider myself a portrait photographer either, but I do take pictures of the family for Christmas cards. However, I don't have the fancy flashes, triggers, reflectors, or light stands, and quite honestly, I have little desire to use it.

So, I shoot nature, but I'm not a nature photographer, I shoot sports, but I'm not a sports photographer, and I shoot portraits, but I'm not a portrait photographer. I obviously take lots of pictures, but what exactly am I?

I don't specialize in any one area and my gear isn't optimized for any one genre. I don't consider myself an expert in any specific area of photography, but I have a camera and I enjoy capturing life's experiences with it.

I think I'm just a dude with a camera...

Portraits

Portraits

1 comment:

  1. In a world where everyone seems to need a specialty so that they have an identity, it's refreshing to see someone who is comfortable just being a "dude with a camera", aka a photographer.

    I think we all have our "first love", the thing that moves us the most or what we return to when we're weary of shooting the "mundane" things, but I personally like to leave my options open so that I can avoid being put into a box.

    These are more fantastic shots, Wayne. I especially LOVE the 2nd one, with the swing and reindeer antlers. So very cute and excellently timed capture.

    ReplyDelete