Thursday, November 4, 2010

Photography Mathematics

Ideally, one's photography skills and images would plot like a linear graph over time (ergo, y = ax, with "a" being a constant greater than zero). An exponential graph would be even better, but not realistic. For me, it seems like my images have been following a cosine graph (or sine, depending on the phase).

I'm sure a few of you (ergo, non-Iolani or USC grads) are wondering what the heck I'm talking about, so let me explain in non-mathematical terms. Some days my photos are cool, other days they look like Facebook snapshots, then they look cool, then they look like elementary school artwork....get the picture (no pun intended)?

Being a non-professional photographer, I need to work for a living, and having a family, I often have other commitments...so, some days, I'm too tired to create a nice photo, too lazy to seek out a nice subject, or my brain is so cluttered, I just can't focus on photography.

I've been in a rut for the last few weeks and yesterday, I decided I needed to snap out of it (no pun intended). I left the office at 4 PM and headed to my happy place....the Pleasanton Ridge. I'm at home on the trails and it's a great place to clear my head and let my spirit loose.

The challenge this time of year is the sun. The trail head is east facing, so the ridge blocks the late afternoon sun. I walked briskly and jogged up the ridge to get to the beautiful light at the top. Fortunately, I got to the ridgeline before the sun hid behind the next ridge.

Here's a picture of a few oak trees soaking in the sun. The temperatures have been near 80 degrees this week, so it was a great day to hit the trails.

No comments:

Post a Comment