Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Little Penguin


I used to travel on business a lot more than I do nowadays.  One of the things I miss about traveling is the solitude the long flight brings.  It's a great time to read a captivating book, catch up on the magazines that have been piling up in the mail, reflect on life, or just take a nap.  Traveling also offers a chance to meet new people, see new places, and experience new foods.  But traveling has its drawbacks, including lost opportunities to have dinner with the family, missed softball or basketball games, and a lonely spouse sleeping in an empty bed.

My daughter is a very thoughtful and caring person.  Whenever I travel, she leaves a doll or stuffed animal on my side of the bed to keep my wife company during the night.  Whenever my wife is out of town, my daughter leaves me a little penguin to keep me company.  I love this penguin...it doesn't snore, it doesn't steal the blanket, and it doesn't accidentally elbow me in the head in the middle of the night.  Needless to say, my daughter was a bit perturbed when she discovered the little penguin had fallen behind the bed months and months ago and was covered with dust.  Sorry dear….the little penguin is cleaned up and back in bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment