Monday, April 1, 2013

Escaping the Daily Routine

Trees by Wayne-K
Trees, a photo by Wayne-K on Flickr.

A friend sent me an online article about breaking away from the mundane, day-to-day routine and actually making time to do things that are important to you. I would post a link here, but unfortunately I must have deleted the e-mail (I’ll need her to resend it). Anyway, as a result of reading the article, I set out to define the things I would like to do outside of the daily grind. One thing I wanted to do was run another trail race. The last race I ran was a 17km run at Muir Beach in December 2007 (or there about). My friend is an avid trail runner, so I asked her for recommendations. I didn’t want to schedule a race for December because it’s too cold and I wanted something sooner, so I would have motivation to begin my training immediately. She said, “Oh, you could be a pacer for me when I do my 100 miler in August.” After further discussion, I realized I would need to run 20-30 miles, at high altitude, with thousands of feet of elevation gain – clearly not what I had in mind when I asked for a suggested trail run. My four mile, flat runs with the dog were clearly not going to cut it. I would need to significantly increase the distance and intensity of my workouts, or she would be pacing me during the 100 miler.

I resumed my trail running on the Pleasanton Ridge a few weeks ago, but unfortunately developed Achilles Tendinitis. This was clearly caused by increasing my mileage and hill work too quickly. After a week of resting, icing, massaging, stretching, and ibuprofen, I decided to give the ridge another try today. I ran/walked my five mile route, walking up the hills to minimize the strain on my Achilles, and stretching frequently. I also stopped on occasion for some photographs. The afternoon light created nice photo opportunities of the West-facing landscape.

Here are a few photos from my training run today. I love my compact Panasonic LX5 camera and how easy it is to carry on my water bottle belt during my trail runs.

Fork Ahead

Fallen But Not Forgotten

Trail Sign

No comments:

Post a Comment