Saturday, December 22, 2012

Sunol Regional Park

Water Under the Bridge by Wayne-K
Water Under the Bridge, a photo by Wayne-K on Flickr.
The weather is frequently overcast and rainy this time of year and the flat light isn’t great for the wide landscapes I enjoy shooting. While hiking at the Morgan Territory last weekend, I made a mental note to visit the Sunol Regional Park while the weather is overcast. Flat light on overcast days is perfect for photographing creeks. The winter storms have been frequenting the Bay Area for the last few weeks and I was certain the Alameda Creek at Sunol was flowing vigorously.

I frequently use slow shutter speeds to turn moving water into milky, mistiness and the low light (and a neutral density filter) allows me to slow the shutter speeds down. The diffuse light also allows for more pleasant exposures. The creek is lined with trees the contrasty light on clear, blue bird days creates deep shadows.

I decided to shoot my Nikon FM2 today with Kodak BW400CN black and white film. My brother has my light-weight, Benro travel tripod, so I dusted off my old Bogen 3001N tripod and used it instead. The Bogen is actually a much better tripod and it wasn’t too bad carrying it on the short one mile walk to Little Yosemite.

Here are a few photos from my trip to Sunol. The color photos were shot on my Panasonic LX5 and the B&W photos on my Nikon FM2.

Little Yosemite

Supper Time

Water Under the Bridge

Little Yosemite 1
Little Yosemite 2 Little Yosemite 3 Little Yosemite 4 Little Yosemite 5 Little Yosemite 6

No comments:

Post a Comment