Friday, October 21, 2011

Breast Cancer Awareness Month

Pink
Pink, a photo by Wayne-K on Flickr.

I was reared in a household where the line between men and women was clear. There was no such thing as metro-sexual and it wasn't considered a good thing to be in touch with one's feminine side...well, unless you were a girl...and even then, it probably wasn't okay either.

Pink was clearly on the female side of the line. Years ago, my brother in-law gave me a dark, pink sweater for my birthday (maybe it was for Christmas?). It wasn't a bright, pink sweater, but it was pink nonetheless. The sweater just lay in my closet. I had no intention of wearing it, but I felt guilty donating it straightaway to charity. One day, I decided to wear it to work. After a few hours, I was so self-conscious, I took it off and stuffed it into my backpack. That sweater was immediately donated to charity, for some metro-sexual man to enjoy. I think that was the last time I wore pink.

October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. A few weeks ago, we participated in the Komen Race for the Cure 5K walk. A number of corporate sponsors generously donated to the cause, many giving away free pink things. I typically hang my work identification badge on a lanyard around my neck. In October, I changed it to a pink lanyard that I received from the Race for the Cure. I felt a bit strange wearing a pink lanyard, but thought it was important to help increase awareness.

While riding up the elevator to my office today, a young lady stared at my badge and boldly asked, "you like pink, huh?" I was initially surprised by the question, but explained October was Breast Cancer Awareness Month and showed her the pink "Komen for the Cure" card. I'm glad she asked because I was able to increase her awareness....and clear up any misunderstandings that I might be a metro....

There are a number of fundraising activities this month, supporting breast cancer awareness and the search for a cure. Please donate to the cause and help in the race for the cure. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment