Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Why “355 Days”?


Just a quick note concerning the name of my blog.  Since I started this blog, I’ve been asked a few times, “Wayne/Dad, I know you’re an idiot, but surely even you know there are 365 days in a year...”

My response is, “Yes, I understand the earth's orbital period is 365.256 days...and don’t call me surely.”   -- if you didn't laugh, you must not have seen the movie “Airplane” or the joke was just lame...or both.

Anyway, I am a locally renown expert in orbital mechanics, I can recite the Julian calendar backwards in Latin, and I have a Bachelor of Science degree in Aerospace Engineering from the University of Southern California.  A lot of people think I have a second BS degree...a BS degree in BS.  But, that's another story.  My point is, I do realize there are 365 days in a year and not 355 days.

The purpose of my blog was to document my activities and random thoughts throughout the year, using photographs, creative writing, half-truths, and fiction. Unfortunately, I was inspired to write my blog on January 10th, which only left me 355 days to chronicle the year 2010.  So that's the background.  I may not be a rocket scientist...but I did save 15% on my car insurance.

Pictures -- I was going through some photos, looking for a space-related picture for this subject and found some from a Washington D.C. trip a couple years ago.

The opening photo is a satellite, displayed at a Washington D.C. area air and space museum.

Below is a stunning picture of the Lincoln Memorial.

No comments:

Post a Comment